Several states have made temporary adjustments to the regulations that govern the provision of therapy based on the current state of emergency due to COVID-19. These changes allow fully-licensed clinicians from other states to continue counseling via teletherapy to ongoing clients in those states. In some cases, states are renewing declared states of emergency every 30 days, which sets follow-up plans on uncertain footing. Also, not every type of presenting concern is appropriate for teletherapy; if this is the case for you we can assist you in finding a provider.
It is unlawful for Counseling Center interns to practice counseling across state lines. If you previously saw an intern, have moved back home outside of North Carolina, and are interested in continuing with someone else at the UCC you can review our staff bios and choose a senior staff member.
- The UCC is able to provide counseling via a HIPAA-compliant, web-based teletherapy platform for students. Please call the University Counseling Center (336-758-5273) to inquire if our staff can practice across state lines in your state. The list of states allowing out of state teletherapy changes often and staff will check the most up to date information to find out if you can be seen. Your clinician can explain more to you about how therapy may be impacted by the limitations in your state.
- As always, the UCC’s phone line (336-758-5273) will continue to be a crisis line 24/7/365. While UCC staff work from home, if you are in crisis you can call us and press ‘1’ to be connected immediately with an on-call clinician – during business hours and after hours. This service is available and can be accessed by students located anywhere in the world.
To make an appointment:
- Call 336-758-5273 during regular business hours (M-F; 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST).
- Our staff will ask about your current location and the urgency of your circumstances.
- Make sure you have installed and can connect to the WFU VPN in order to complete all paperwork for your appointment.
Categories: UCC News
- April 21, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- November 6, 2019